Why is Blogging Good for SEO?
Keeping a blog is an essential part of improving your search engine optimization, or website visibility in search engines. Blogs help your SEO by adding fresh new content to your site, utilizing your targeted keywords, providing links, and promoting your products and services. However, there is more to blogging than just writing about a product or service; you will want to make sure your blog offers good value and share-worthy content. This blog provides you with tips on how to write a good SEO blog that will increase your ranking in search engines.
How Do I Write a Blog?
There are a lot of different pieces that go into blogging but for the sake of today’s discussion, we will focus on the SEO aspect of keeping a blog. There are several things you need to do in order to optimize your blog for search engines.
- Identify the keyword your blog is based around
- Include the keyword in the title of the blog. If your blog is focused on a long-tail keyword phrase, we encourage you to title your blog as such for a better chance at showing up in SERPs (search engine results pages)
- Use the keyword between 3 and 5 times in the blog content
- Link to other pages on your site, specifically the landing page that supports your keyword
- Always include an image
- Add an alt attribute to your image containing your keyword.
- Keep your blog between 200 and 500 words
- Add some personality to your voice
How Often Should I blog?
You will want to create a schedule for blogging and stay on top of it. The best blogs are updated at least once a week. This ensures that you are always adding fresh new content to your site and keeping a schedule will help your readers to regularly view your site for updates.
- With the Google Hummingbird Update, there is a greater emphasis on long-tail keyword phrases, so begin focusing your blogs on such phrases.
- Long-tail keyword phrases can be broken across punctuation.
- Search engines read text in a linear fashion and ignore ‘stop words’. Examples of stop words include ‘the, and, or’. Remember this when using your keyword phrases but do not let it affect your voice.
- Link back to your blogs on your social media sites to increase visibility and drive traffic. When linking to your blog on Facebook, remember to include a picture to increase your organic reach.