In today's digital world, many people have their smart phone in their pocket, smart watch on their wrist and laptop within arm's reach. There is a world of knowledge that is constantly beckoning for attention. So how are you and your business supposed to get recognized? Here are some insider facts, tips, and tricks to get you started on the right path to discovery!
The "Fear of Missing Out" (FOMO) is what creates constant interest in social media platforms. Have you ever caught yourself looking at Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram or YouTube, closing the application, and then immediately reopening and refreshing the feed? Why is that? Do you want to watch a new funny video? Stay connected with family and friends? Share your own experiences to let everyone know what you are doing? Whatever the reason may be, that feeling of missing out on something new has us constantly going back for more.
According to Brandwatch, as of May 2019, there are 3.49 billion people that are active on social media platforms. With so many videos, pictures, blogs, articles, and other content always being uploaded, it's in our nature to want to look for more.
- Facebook and Snapchat see an average of 8 billion video views daily
- YouTube has 300 hours of video uploaded every minute and an average of 1 billion hours watched daily
- Instagram has 95 million photos posted daily
- Twitter has 500 Million tweets sent daily
If you are feeling overwhelmed, don't worry, we are here to guide you on the path to success!
Set Realistic Outreach Goals (Within Your Budget)
An example of a good "outreach" goal for social media marketing would be something like "We'll increase our Facebook likes on our business page by 25% by the end of the first quarter."
- You have specifically identified the social channel (Facebook) and a metric (number of likes).
- The amount of "likes" on your page can easily be measured daily, weekly or quarterly.
- Your goal will have an impact on your overall social media presence, making it very relevant.
- It's achievable. You want to challenge yourself but also set yourself up to succeed. While it's good to aim high, you want to still set realistic goals.
Assigning your social media efforts a concrete purpose helps you avoid the trap of posting aimlessly.
Represent Your Business by Being You
The biggest mistake businesses can make is posting only product related content. People want to relate to a company that they feel personally connected to. Connecting with your audience on social media is the best way to grow your business, and all for free! There is a sense of connection when you respond to one of your followers.
- Show the "human" side of your business with photos or videos of your staff, people positively representing your brand, or followers who are reaching out to you.
- Create a fun challenge that encourages followers to share your brand, your message, or your product on their personal accounts.
- Create and post content people actually want to see. Do not post more than twice a day. Spamming followers doesn't help anyone.
- Organize events that allows your business to meet followers and form connections.
Track Your Progress and See What Works for You
As you slowly begin to gain a following, make sure you stay active with content. You shouldn't be afraid to ride the "trending wave". Post content that is topical to help create a community around your business.
- Track what content performs best for you. Is it photos? Videos? What is the best time of the week to post content and where do you receive the most engagement?
- What social media platform does your audience use most?
- Experiment with content. That's the only way to truly find out what works best for your business.
- Use the correct tracking tools to maximize social media growth, exposure and engagement.
- Don't be afraid to "Pay to Play" to reach your target audience.
If you think your business is ready for maximizing outreach, gaining followers, and growing a larger social media following, the Digital Marketing Experts at Informatics are ready to help today.