The State of Email Marketing in 2018

Jun 13, 2018 | Email Marketing

What's new for email in 2018?

2018 Email Marketing

Email is older than the Internet itself. The first electronic message was sent from one computer to another in 1971 via ARPANET. And while digital computing and digital marketing continue to evolve at exponential rates, this relatively old technology is not going away. 

Email is not only familiar and reliable, it’s also extremely profitable. Email marketing has an average ROI of 3,800, meaning $38 is earned for every dollar spent, according to Salesforce. It’s a must-use tactic for the modern business, so let’s check in on how this tool will continue to evolve in 2018.


Everyone wants to see results, and according to a study by Econsultancy and Adestra, marketers who use just basic segmentation are twice as likely to report “excellent” ROI compared to marketers who do not segment their audiences at all. Segmentation, the process of directing and adapting your efforts based on any number of factors (age, gender, income level, etc.) ranked as the most popular email marketing strategy in 2017, used by 80% of marketers. However, that number was almost flat from 2016. It appears, for now, that the remaining 20% isn’t rushing to segment their campaigns.

Mobile Optimization

US Consumers spend over 5 hours per day on their mobile devices. According to Bluehornet, 80% of users will delete an email if it is not optimized for mobile. Responsive design and mobile optimization is the strategy that has seen the largest growth over the last year, and it shows no sign of slowing down.

Personal Data

Europe has kicked off 2018 with their General Data Protection Regulation, otherwise known as GDPR.  This new set of laws shields the privacy of all EU citizens, giving them control over their personal data and limiting the ability of businesses to send unsolicited messages. Businesses that do not follow these new protocols may even be subject to fines. It’s anticipated that this trend will spread to other regions, with the United Kingdom (set to leave the EU in 2019) already adopting similar regulations. Yes, this will narrow some marketer’s audiences, but it also provides the opportunity to make sure your messages are being delivered to an audience that actually wants the content.

Mailable Microsites

It’s a given that you want customers to interact with your business, but more and more email campaigns are making it easy for customers to engage directly from their inboxes. Mailable microsites have been around for several years, but advances in technology make it easier than ever to include countdowns, GIFs, and product purchase options within the body of a message – no navigation to a parent site necessary. There are some major efficiency gains to be discovered through this technique, but you do run the risk of bombarding customers with excessively large files. That being said, we see this tool as a growing trend in 2018.

Human Touch

It’s not enough to address customers by their first names. People are increasingly web-savvy – they know your email is going to thousands of people, and little details can help give the illusion that you are speaking just to them. According to an Experian survey, 56% of brands that used emojis in their subject lines experienced higher open rates. We wouldn’t recommend this for a high-end financial services firm, for instance, but elements that make your business’ tone more conversational and less formal will continue to rise in 2018.

Whether you are marketing to a large or small audience, and whether you are looking to increase sales or elevate brand awareness, email continues to be an essential tool for communicating with your customers. If you need help executing a professional email campaign, tailored specifically to your needs contact Informatics – the experts in all things Internet since 1998.

Share This Article

Back to Blog

We want to be your partners in success.

One simple conversation can change your business forever.

Animated Loading Gif


Please wait while we set things up for you!