In honor of Halloween we’ve decided to give this blog a spooky twist. 2014 is right around the corner and it is time to start thinking about your website redesign. Each new trend reflects our favorite Halloween characters: the good guys and the bad guys.
The Witch: Parallax Scrolling
- Of course witches can be wicked (see Wizard of OZ) or delightful (see Sabrina the Teenage Witch) and in this case, they’re delightful. Parallax scrolling allows designers to control the depth of objects, making animations come alive. Sites with this feature showcase modern technology, and of course, they appear downright magical. So cast a spell on your website with this fun, new trend.
The Ghost: Responsive Design
- Again, Ghosts vary across the board but for all intents and purposes our ghost is friendly like Casper and can take any shape he wants. Hence, responsive design! Responsive Design allows your site’s content to conform and resize itself to any device and screen size. This trend is a must!
- “It’s alive!” This is what you will say when you successfully update your own website for the first time. Like Dr. Frankenstein, you will be able to create something new and put it out there for the villagers – er, world – to see. A CMS, or content management system will allow you to login and update your website with what you want, when you want.
Cartoon Character: Flat Design
- Okay so maybe not classic but still relevant. Cartoon characters are always a great go-to for a Halloween costume. Coming up in 2014 is the popularity of a flat design. In other words, say goodbye to 3D images and logos and welcome the sleek, flat look with open arms.
Ninja: Single Page Sites
- Want to be fast and stealthy like a Ninja? Single Page sites will jump you from the “home page” down to the “contact form” faster than you can say “hiya!” Visitors will have the ability to scroll through the entire site without skipping from page to page.
The Bad Guys: Website blunders that are obvious but need to be noted.
Zombie: A Slow Site
- Zombies move slowly…VERY slowly. Then why are they so scary? Well, similar to your website, they are obnoxious, annoying, and eat away at our…time. If your site takes more than a couple seconds to load, your visitors will leave and they will not come back. Don’t allow your site to be a zombie!
- Does anyone really know what “shiver me timbers” means? Don’t be a pirate, don’t use jargon. Certain phrases and terms that are common to you may not be familiar to your visitors.
Vampire: Inverted Color Schemes
- Do you like things that are dark, cold, and creepy? Well okay then. If you fall on the other side of the fence and do not want to be a vampire, then do not use inverted color schemes. In other words, dark backgrounds with white text are very difficult to read and should be avoided.
When you’re considering a website redesign in 2014, remember these trends. As always, Informatics can help you with your redesign and any questions you may have.