Are you familiar with the terms SEO and Social Media? Today we are going to break down both of these terms and explain why they are vital to your online marketing toolkit, as well as how they work together.
SEO stands for search engine optimization and is the process of improving your website’s visibility in a search engine’s organic search results. It is important because it allows you to improve your online presence, increasing the likelihood that people will find your website on the internet.
Social Media sites are virtual, interactive networks where people can connect and communicate with one another. Social media is important because it allows you to stay up-to-date with what is going on around you, connect with your current customers, and draw in potential future customers. SEO and social media work together by constantly driving traffic back to your website.
Some important things to know about SEO:
• Search Engines are sites like Google, Yahoo, and Bing, which allow you to type in a keyword and find a list of websites with related information.
• Keywords and phrases are words that best encompass what you are looking for.
• You want to be found in the organic, or natural/unpaid, search results.
• SEO involves analytics, measurement of traffic to your website.
• SEO is an on-going process. It’s not a one and done situation.
Some important things to know about Social Media:
• There are hundreds of social media networks (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram, LinkedIn).
• Each social media site has its own terminology.
• Each social media site has its own purpose such as photo, video, or content sharing.
• Social media is different than your website because it allows you to interact with current and potential customers.
• Social Media is an on-going process that requires constant monitoring.
We have only touched on the basics and there is so much more to learn about SEO and Social Media. Overall, both are vital to your online marketing strategy. Watch this week’s episode ”Getting to Know SEO and Social Media” to learn more about the basics and stay tuned for weekly blog and video updates.